Generally, companies decide they require a chat icon on their website to improve customer relations and/or consumer confidence. The chat icon should be visible on the website within seconds. Statistics have revealed that regardless if a consumer uses the live chat or not, it will increase website sales by almost 29%.
Here are a few tips to consider when implementing a chat icon on your company website:
- Place the icon in a consistent location. If a visitor is in need of assistance, they know precisely where to locate the live chat.
- Don’t make the design of the live chat button too overwhelming. People are on your site to obtain information; not firmly to live chat
- You don’t want the button to blend too much with the site. Even though the design scheme may be to design the button with the pattern of the site, it may camouflage too well and become lost.
- Keep in mind a section on the site the user will always find the chat icon. If you position it merely on a single page, the user may forget where they found the button, thus the sale being lost.
- Users should not have to adjust their experience on the site such as substituting to a different browser to find the chat icon. Test the button on your site before implementation.
It may take a bit of time to discover where the best place to situate the icon is but it will be well worth the time and effort. It should not be the main focus of the site but be familiar enough to users to locate if they require instant online communication.